White accepted the honor of leading the Broward volunteer business community at the Alliance’s Annual Meeting
Bill White, the Co-Founder and Principal of Compass Office Solutions, was named to chair the Greater Fort Lauderdale Alliance at the organization’s 2016 annual meeting on Thursday, Oct. 20. He accepted the gavel and the leadership of Broward County’s volunteer business community from outgoing Chair Penny Shaffer, Market President of Florida Blue.
The Alliance, which is Broward County’s official public/private partnership for economic development, also reviewed its accomplishments in the previous fiscal year, announced new job postings and new initiatives, presented the Leadership and Education Partnership Awards, and featured a Keynote by GuideWell CEO Pat Geraghty.
About the Greater Fort Lauderdale Alliance
The Greater Fort Lauderdale Alliance is the primary economic development organization for the Greater Fort Lauderdale/Broward County area, working to improve our community by creating, attracting, expanding and retaining high-wage jobs and capital investment. The Alliance accomplishes these goals by marketing Broward County, managing expansion, relocation, and retention projects, providing market research, and securing investment in our area.
From 2007 to 2016, the Alliance has helped create or retain 25,000 direct jobs that are estimated to generate (through direct, indirect, and induced effects) $2.1 billion in annual personal income and an $11 billion in annual economic impact in Broward County.
A stellar year in review
The Alliance announced that the previous 2015-2016 fiscal year’s efforts helped produce 2,646 new high-value jobs, 943 retained jobs, and $210 million in new capital investment. Nearly 300 companies were provided services by the Alliance and 34,800 jobs were added during the period. More than half of the positions gained year-over-year in the tri-county South Florida region were added in Broward County, and this 4.4 percent growth rate outpaced both the state and the nation.
Plans for the future
Bill White plans to continue and expand upon the vital mission of the Alliance, through a series of initiatives aimed at continuing the area’s rapid economic growth. The organization’s ongoing initiatives include:
- The TechGateway initiative is an effort to brand, recruit, grow and retain the information technology business in South Florida by showcasing more than 2,000 local technology companies. It includes the TechGateway App Challenge, a partnership with Broward County Public Schools in which students use their computer science skills to design, storyboard, and create an app that increases awareness about technology companies doing business in South Florida.
- Continuation of the Minority and Women-owned Business Enterprise (MWBE) Fellowship Program that identifies successful minority and women-owned businesses and further involves them with the local business community as members of the Alliance at the Entrepreneurship Council level.
- Continue the Workforce Skills Gap study (GFL Works), which is being conducted through a $126,000 investment by JPMorgan Chase. The project has been underway since the summer and is currently in a research phase.
- Provide timely business and industry-based analysis resources monitoring Broward-area job growth, revenue, and other vital statistics.
- Continue to attract companies to relocate to South Florida and assist organizations that are making the transition. These efforts are focused on targeted, high-value sectors, including aviation & aerospace, global logistics, headquarters, life sciences manufacturing, marine industries, and technology.
- Promote the Greater Fort Lauderdale area with communications focusing on the region’s attractive quality of life, effective government, educated workforce, and excellent infrastructure, among other features.
“I’m excited and honored to chair this fantastic organization which is such a vital resource for economic development in South Florida,” commented Bill. “Our ongoing programs and the new efforts that are planned for this fiscal year will continue the Alliance’s mission of growth and prosperity in the greater Fort Lauderdale area.”
About Compass Office Solutions
Compass Office Solutions is a leading company in the South Florida business community, providing modular interior construction and office furniture services to the corporate, healthcare, government, and educational markets. Established in 2006, Compass is a full-service firm, providing technical design, project management, installation, reconfiguration, floor coverings, modular interior full-height walls, and other services.
Compass has innovated the office furnishings industry by moving all stages of workspace creation online: from technical design to order entry, everything in the process is done electronically, creating an efficient, turnkey solution for the construction of fantastic and functional office environments. We can be reached at 954.430.4590 or through our online form.
Compass is proud of Bill for receiving the honor of leading this vital organization that is focused on the economic development of greater Ft. Lauderdale, and we can’t wait to see what he and the Alliance will accomplish in the coming year.